Explosion records the development of naval firepower, the history of Priddy’s Hard and the working lives of those who worked here; and explores the human experience of those whose lives have been touched by naval operations in peace and war. Our vision:
- The full story of the Navy's armament and supply should be honoured and in the public eye.
- The history of Priddy’s Hard and the people involved are a vital part of that story.
- Explosion aims to be the pre-eminent national and international centre of historical expertise in naval warfare.
- To preserve the historical collections and buildings in our care for current and future generations through conservation, interpretation and public access.
- To constantly improve knowledge and understanding of the collections through education and research.
- To present the themes and stories of Explosion! to the broadest audience, in an engaging, enjoyable and stimulating context.
- To provide a high level of service to customers which exceeds their expectations and creates a memorable experience that they wish to repeat.
- To maximise income from operations and fund raising in order to reduce reliance on subsidies and to underpin future development of the museum.
This mission can be summarised as follows:
- To preserve and interpret
- To educate and research
- To engage and stimulate
- To exceed expectations
- To maximise income
Our pledge: Explosion is committed to observing and complying with the Code of Ethics for Museums (2002) compiled by the Museums Association. According to this Code, society can expect the museum to:
- Hold the collections in trust on behalf of societyFocus on public service
- Encourage people to explore the collections for inspiration, learning and enjoyment
- Consult and involve our communities, users and supporters
- Acquire items honestly and responsibly
- Safeguard the long-term public interest in the collections
- Recognise the interests of people who made, used, owned, collected or gave items in the collections
- Support the protection of natural and human environments
- Research, share and interpret information related to the collections, reflecting diverse views
- Review performance to innovate and improve
Our focus: Thus the focus of Explosion is: Preserving and interpreting the collections and heritage of Priddy’s Hard to offer a learning, stimulating and enjoyable visitor experience for all.
Owned and operated by Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust
A Charitable Company Limited by guarantee registered in England No 1959490
Charity Registration No 293188 VAT Registration No 780 8538 94
Registered Office: 19 College Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth PO1 3LJ
Directors: R T Bishop, Ms M Cohen, Mrs M Foster, Mrs T Hall, P Marriott, Rear Admiral Neil Rankin CB CBE,
M Ridley, T J L Roberton, H Siegle, Sir Colin Stansfield Smith CBE